Using silk flowers for your wedding is one idea that you will be glad that you went with. Thought of as a social faux pas in the past, silk flowers are now becoming the choice of many brides not just those worried about cost. Many brides are choosing to use silk flowers in their weddings because it cuts back on the stress and worry before the final days. This is especially true if you are doing your flowers yourself.
When you are thinking of silk flowers on your wedding day, do not think of the ratty flowers at the dollar stores with the misshapen petals or the thread coming undone. Think about high quality silk flowers that truly mimic the look of fresh flowers. These silk flowers have been put together with the care and the study of the real flower to make them look as realistic as possible. Silk wedding flowers give you the beauty of flowers on your wedding day without the fuss.
Where to Find Quality Silk Flowers
The DIYers already know that one of the best places to find beautiful silk flowers is at your local craft or hobby story. Because there are those who dabble in flower arranging, these stores offer a variety of flowers. Some stores even offer classes on arranging flowers or have someone who can make custom arrangements for you. Also, if you are like me, you want to feel and touch the flowers to actually see the quality of what you are getting. You can study them to see how well they can go with your look.
Your local florist is another place where you can get beautiful silk wedding flowers. Many people may want arrangements done for a number of events or their personal space where they don't want the flowers to die in a few days. Because the florist has the best connections and the expertise on flower arrangements, they are a great resource in finding fabulous silk flowers for your wedding day.
Last but not least is the internet. The internet has many sites that not only offer silks, but packages with them arranged as well. You can get the flowers you want arranged at quite a reasonable price. Silk wedding flowers can even be found on eBay. However, always make sure you find a reputable company that has a reputation of providing quality service. Many sites do show pictures of their arrangements and offer testimonials. If this does not assure you, buy a test bouquet to see if the quality is what you are looking for.
The Advantages of Silk Wedding Flowers
1. They can be done in advance. Although real flowers are very beautiful and breathtaking, they must be done right before the wedding in order to not wilt. If you are a bride on a budget and taking this task on yourself, you may find yourself overwhelmed and stressed during a time that should be fun and relaxing. With silk arrangements, you can arrange them ahead of time which can reduce the stress of the last few days leading up to your wedding. On the day of your wedding, they will still be even more beautiful than the day you bought them.
2. Submerged, they look real. One of the big trends in weddings now is the submerged flower. What is so good about this trend is that you can submerge a silk flower in water and no one will be able to tell if it is real or not. If the flower is submerged in water, all people will see is a beautiful arrangement. No one will actually put their hand in the water to see if the flower is real. Also, being that you need less flowers when doing submerged or floating centerpieces, this saves on money.
3. Allergies are not aggravated. You, your hubby to be, or any of your guests may have certain allergies when it comes to flowers. To avoid the inevitable sneezing, runny noses, or red eyes, silk wedding flowers are a great way to have that floral beauty and happy guests. This is also a plus if you are having an outdoor wedding and are afraid of attracting insects.
4. Life-lasting keepsake. The fabulous thing about using silk flowers for your wedding is that you can have a keepsake. You can bring a centerpiece home as well as your bouquet and save on floral preservation costs. They can become a decoration for your home and a reminder of the start of your married life.
5. Great as favors. Many of your guests may fall in love with the wedding centerpieces that you have on the tables. A great favor would be to send the centerpieces home with those flower-loving guests. Your guests get great arrangements to beautify their space as well as a reminder of your wedding day.
6. Sturdy flowers. Because real flowers are more delicate, cold or heat can cause them to wilt quickly. If you are having an outdoor ceremony, the flowers may not be able to stand the heat. What if you forget to put them in water to keep them looking fresh? Well, with silks, this is not a problem. They don't need water and can stand any weather conditions.
7. Less expensive. Now this is always argued because quality silk flowers can cost as much as live ones. This is true; however, if you need a particular flower in December that can only be found in France, the cost can rise. You can use silk flowers instead and have incredible savings. Also, when submerging flowers, because you generally use less, you can use silks instead of the real ones which can run cheaper. You can also save money with silks by checking out sales on the internet and in stores.
How to Spice Up Your Silk Wedding Flowers
If you are using silk flowers for your wedding day, there are many ways that you can spice them up to make them even more unique which gives a personal touch to your day.
Scent. We love the smell of real flowers, so how can we replicate a fragrant smell with silks. Spraying the perfume of your choice on the flowers is a great way. This way, the flowers have a wonderful smell that can add spice to your reception. Although, you want to make sure the smell is something that will not aggravate guests. I would suggest a real clean, light scent.
Jewels. Instead of having a plain bouquet of flowers, add jewels to liven it up. You can get crystals glued to the petals of the flowers. This adds more pizzazz and personality to an already beautiful arrangement. Plus, you don't have to worry about damaging the flowers because they are sturdy enough to be handled.
Feathers. Feathers can add flavor to any floral arrangement. Adding feathers to a silk bridal bouquet gives an extra flair that makes it stand out. Beautiful peacock feathers in a silk centerpiece arrangement helps add a certain level of exquisiteness.
How to Care for Silks
Although one of the advantages of silk flowers is that they need little tending and care, here are a few tips to make sure your silk flowers for your wedding day are in perfect condition.
o To clean silk flowers you can wash them or clean them by hand, but this is not the most recommended way because it can become a bit messy and time consuming.
o A great way to keep silks looking their best is to use an ozone safe aerosol spray. This can keep them looking clean and fresh.
o If any of the greenery is wrinkled, you can steam iron the leaves. Just make sure the temperature is on the lowest steam setting. Test a corner before steaming out the wrinkles.
o Many stores that carry silk flowers also carry silk flower cleaners that can keep silk flowers looking great.